This is another “Im stuffing food down my face during my lunch break,” post. My lunch today is so delicious that I was inspired to give you the recipe because it would be a crime to not share this with the world. Even if it means I now need to eat a little faster.
I’ve got your attention now, haven’t I? I always know a recipe is delicious and healthy when I see how many colors are in the picture. Unless, of course, I’m looking at a picture of a cake with frosting full of food coloring. Thats kind of the one exception.
Beside the fact that this salad is loaded with vitamins, fiber, protein, and good carbs, it also has cumin. My favorite spice. Don’t you dare leave it out when you make this.
Bean Salad with Cumin and Lime
- 1 zucchini, sliced and quarterd
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 can of beans, drained and rinsed
- juice of 3 limes
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons cumin, divided
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Cook your zucchini however you like it. Grilled would be great, but I just stuck mine in a pan for about 5 minutes so it wasn’t totally raw and seasoned it with the 1/2 tsp. cumin. Set it in a bowl to cool.
- Stir in your pepper, onion, celery, and beans.
- In a small bowl, mix your lime juice, olive oil, and remaining spices. Drizzle over the bowl with the other ingredients.
- Top with guacamole and BBQ chicken, or just eat yours with more beans and have it vegetarian. This salad is flexible like that.
Don’t forget to make a mess.
Originally I was hoping to get 3-4 good sized lunches out of this. Lets just say for the seconds meal, I had to find a lot of stuff to add to it.
Let me know if you try it and if you have better self control than I did!
Question of the day:
Do you love cumin?